Downtown

Dare to Struggle Protest Police Brutality in Downtown Fullerton

 

Dare to Struggle led a protest with the family of Alejandro Campos Rios, the homeless, and Fullerton residents on July 5th at 5 pm. The rally began at the Kelly Thomas memorial to make demands for justice and speak out against the brutal oppression and murder that Fullerton cops perpetrate on residents. The 30 to 40 protestors walked to Walk on Wilshire and from there to the Fullerton Police Department.

July 5 is the 13th anniversary of the brutal beating and murder of Kelly Thomas. Thomas was an unarmed homeless man at the Fullerton Transit Center when he was detained by FPD and deliberately beaten to death (see video here:https://youtu.be/xKPiS458ovg?si=2nO6VWbEc9mteCVC).
Thomas’ mother was there to remember her son on this anniversary. “It warms my heart to see that he is not forgotten and has not died in vain.”
“In all the years since then, the FPD has demonstrated that they have not been “reformed” but that they got the green light from the system to continue their reign of terror against the people. When they killed Hector Hernandez outside of his own home in 2020, and when they killed Alejandro Campos Rios outside of a McDonald’s restaurant,” said the online flyer for the protest.

A Dare to Struggle representatives spoke to demand justice for Alejandro Campos Rios. “He was a 50-year-old homeless man who was not doing anything outside of McDonald’s on Orangethorpe and Brookhurst at 3 am when six officers showed up. They tased him, and then they shot him many times with less-lethal rounds.”

Hector Hernandez was another victim. According to the district attorney’s report and an accompanying video, one of Hernandez’s sons called the police to report his stepfather for being drunk, hitting his brother, and brandishing a knife. The boy also said that Hernandez had armed himself with a gun and fired the weapon. 

After police arrived, body-worn camera footage of the shooting shows Ferrell approaching Hernandez’s home with his K-9 dog unit while officers have their guns drawn. In the footage, as Ferrell gets up to the home, he directs the dog toward Hernandez, who is standing in his front yard with his hands up. The D.A. report says Hernandez turned as though he were going back inside his home. Ferrell believed there were children still in the house. 

The police footage and the D.A. report reference that the dog first disobeyed, ran toward other officers, and then, at the urging of Ferrell, the dog rushed toward Hernandez and took him down. Hernandez puts one of his arms down and takes a 3-inch knife from his pocket. After the dog takes him down, Hernandez stabs the dog near the shoulder blade. 

Ferrell runs up to Hernandez, fires a shot, yells, “He’s got a knife!” and fires another round. Ferrell pulls the dog from Hernandez, tearing away at Hernandez’s shirt. See video footage at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqONr02vrpg. In a press release, OCDA Todd Spitzer said the use of force was justified and declined to file charges against Ferrell. Neighbors and family members who witnessed the shooting questioned why police had not used non-lethal tasers or rubber bullets.

“We demand justice for all victims. Also, there should be fully funded 24-hour mental health services everywhere. In OC, there are only daytime mental health services. These cops need to get off our streets. As an option, they should take funding away from the police and put those funds into 24-hour mental health services. Hector Hernandez, Kelly Thomas, David Sullivan, and Alejandro Campos Rios need real justice by firing and prosecuting these killer cops,” said a Dare to Struggle representative.

After speaking at recent City Council meetings, the members of Dare to Struggle were approached by members of the City Council and the police chief to have a meeting but declined, saying, “What is there to negotiate? Why should we compromise our calls for justice by meeting with the most important people within the City? As if they cannot just fire these officers or prosecute those responsible. Obviously, there’s some stuff with the DA, but they can at least fire them all, right? There should be no reason why we have to draw this out. The people have the power to get justice for Alejandro Rios and all other victims of Fullerton Police brutality.”

Fullerton Police Chief Jon Radus stated, “We put out a press release after the incident and a subsequent critical incident community briefing and released the videos. We contacted the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, and they are investigating the use of force.”

 


Discover more from Fullerton Observer

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

4 replies »

  1. These events illustrate the failure of the government to provide adequate mental health and addiction treatment, not failures on the part of the police (except Kelly Thomas). Mental health and addiction treatment should be available at no charge to all. Each of these incidents seem justified to me, each of them caused by mental health episodes. This is a very slanted opinion piece masquerading as news.

    • So Manny Ramos, Joe Wolfe and Jay Cicinelli et al. were actually peripheral victims of a government that failed to provide adequate mental health and addiction treatment when a homeless guy crossed their path. Got it.

    • It’s not that I don’t understand what your saying, people please, the government? The police? Homeless man with drug addiction and mental health issues? Where is his family? Not the wife and kids but, the mom, dad, uncles, brothers? IT IS THEIR JOB if any of it is important. The SO CALLED “GOVERMENT” has help for those issues spoken of, it is not set up by the forces of evil. Vocational training is available along with school and college so men can plan as everyone does what are they going to do when they grow up and threw the course of their life till they are to elderly to work. ( And that is with or without a wife and children!)