Fullerton will pay tribute to Tommy Lasorda on September 22, celebrating baseball and Italy on what would have been the Hall of Famer’s 94th birthday in the city he called home for nearly seven decades.
On Sept. 22, City leaders will declare Tommy Lasorda Day, and kick off all-day festivities to honor the baseball great who managed the Los Angeles Dodgers for 20 years and came to be revered worldwide as an ambassador for baseball.
Here is a lineup of events scheduled:
• 9am: Signing ceremony with new sister city Tollo, Italy. Fullerton City Council Chambers. 303 W Commonwealth Ave.
• 9:15am: Planting ceremony of an Italian olive tree next to other sister city trees outside City Hall.
• 10am: Press conference at Amerige Field. Mayor will present proclamation for Tommy Lasorda Day. 300 W Commonwealth Ave.
• 10:30am: Screening of the National Italian American Film Forum Award-winning “Italian American Baseball Family” documentary featuring Tommy Lasorda. Film director Roberto Angotti will be present. Fullerton Community Center. 340 W Commonwealth Ave.
• 4pm: Live National Radio broadcast of “The Sports Lounge with Fred Dryer.” Angelo’s and Vinci’s Ristorante. 550 N Harbor Blvd.
• 5pm: Fullerton Sister City Fundraising Dinner. Angelo’s and Vinci’s Ristorante. 550 N Harbor Blvd. $50 per person. Includes dinner and ticket for drawing.
• 5pm: Golden Hill Little League Baseball Game. Fullerton Sports Complex. 560 Silver Pine St.
• 7:30pm: Sunny Hills vs. Fullerton High School baseball game. Amerige Field. 300 W Commonwealth Ave.
For further information contact the City Council Office at (714) 738-6311.
The widow of Tommy Lasorda, Jo Lasorda, passed away Monday evening, September 20, at 8:59pm at her Fullerton home. She was 91.
Categories: Local News